Re: [exim] exim4 is blocking port 80

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Tobias Marx
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 is blocking port 80
On 2008-01-02 at 01:34 +0100, Tobias Marx wrote:
> Exim4 keeps on blocking port 80.
>
> So I have done a cron job that execute a:
>
> killall -9 exim4
> /etc/init.d/exim4 start
>
> every 5 minutes.
>
> I am looking for a cleaner solution though ;-)

What do you mean by "keeps on blocking port 80"?

Do you mean "Exim binds to port 80 and therefore my webserver can't"?
Or something else?

If Exim is binding to port 80, then you've told it to. This can happen
two ways:

 (1) /etc/services (or whatever equivalent you're using; LDAP, whatever)
     is defining the "smtp" service to be on port 80
 (2) You've told your Exim config to listen on port 80 with the
     "daemon_smtp_ports" configuration option.

You can "ask" Exim what value it has for the option after parsing all of
its config files with the -bP command-line flag:

$ exim -bP daemon_smtp_ports
daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : smtps : submission
$ exim -C /dev/null -bP daemon_smtp_ports
daemon_smtp_ports = smtp

There's a good chance that you have a "getent" command (Solaris, Linux,
*BSD support it) so you can do:

$ getent services smtp
smtp                  25/tcp mail

If I'm talking about entirely the wrong thing, please rephrase the
problem report and include diagnostic information so that we don't have
to guess so much.

Thanks,
-Phil