Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.67 released

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.67 released
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

>>> The docs link on exim.org still gives a 4.66 doc?
>> I've updated the webpages now. If I missed anything, please speak out.
>
> PLEASE make the URL to the Exim documentation stable. every time a new
> version comes out, the Google page rank is reset. in addition, nobody
> links to the documentation since the URLs will die within a year or so
> anyway. the end result is that a Google search will send people to list
> archives or shoddy howtos, and *never* the official documentation.
>
> as an example, I just searched for "isip exim". I got 512 hits, but at
> 156 Google said the rest were elided since they were similar to what I'd
> already seen. not *one* of these hits were at exim.org. the closest I
> got was a mirror: <http://exim.feraudet.com/exim-pdf-4.66/doc/spec.pdf>.
> this was hit #15.
>
> trying to emulate a slightly more savvy user, I tried the search "isip
> site:exim.org". you'll get the list archive almost exclusively. first
> hit outside the archive is a reference to the documentation to 4.30 at
> hit #49. the two hits for 4.66 documentation come VERY LAST!
> obviously, 4.67 documentation can't be found yet at all.
>
> this not clearly helping the situation with newbie users not reading or
> even finding the documentation, and the fix is simple. please do it.

I agree with everything said here, enthusiastically. With most other
applications I use regularly I can just stick a few words into google
and get pointed at the correct section of the documentation on the
applications official website. With Exim I find searching the
documentation very difficult and having hundreds of search results
containing archives of this list just makes things more difficult.

This wouldn't be such a major issue if there were a simple "search
documentation" form on www.exim.org. It's no wonder such a high
proportion of the messages on this list are people moaning about people
not reading the documentation, or people posting links to specific pages
in the documentation. No one can find anything in it!

Mike