Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.67 released

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: Magnus Holmgren
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.67 released
On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 17:02 +0200, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> On Sunday 22 April 2007 22:23, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> > The docs link on exim.org still gives a 4.66 doc?
>
> I've updated the webpages now. If I missed anything, please speak out.

PLEASE make the URL to the Exim documentation stable. every time a new
version comes out, the Google page rank is reset. in addition, nobody
links to the documentation since the URLs will die within a year or so
anyway. the end result is that a Google search will send people to list
archives or shoddy howtos, and *never* the official documentation.

as an example, I just searched for "isip exim". I got 512 hits, but at
156 Google said the rest were elided since they were similar to what I'd
already seen. not *one* of these hits were at exim.org. the closest I
got was a mirror: <http://exim.feraudet.com/exim-pdf-4.66/doc/spec.pdf>.
this was hit #15.

trying to emulate a slightly more savvy user, I tried the search "isip
site:exim.org". you'll get the list archive almost exclusively. first
hit outside the archive is a reference to the documentation to 4.30 at
hit #49. the two hits for 4.66 documentation come VERY LAST!
obviously, 4.67 documentation can't be found yet at all.

this not clearly helping the situation with newbie users not reading or
even finding the documentation, and the fix is simple. please do it.
--
Kjetil T.