Re: [exim] How to avoid generating backscatter?

Author: ROGERS Richard
To: Richard.Hall, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to avoid generating backscatter?
Richard.Hall wrote:
> Hello, hope someone can help with this hypothetical (at the moment)
> situation ...
>
> - spammer sends email to userA@domainA
> - domainA fails to detect that it is spam
> - userA has set up forwarding to userB@domainB
> - domainA attempts to forward email to userB@domainB
> - domainB detects that it is spam, and rejects it (5xx)
> - domainA sees 5xx, generates NDR, attempts to send it to ... oops,
> you guessed, forged sender.
>
> Is there any way for domainA to prevent the generation, or at least
> the transmission, of the NDR? (Other than improving its spam
> detection rates!!)
>
> For bonus points, can domainA hang on to the original email and/or
> the NDR (eg by freezing it/them), for later inspection?
>
> Marks will be deducted for mentioning SPF ;-)
>
> TIA,
> Richard Hall

Assuming you know (or can find out) the forwarding address at SMTP time,
you could do a recipient verification call-out. Might get contentious if
you're going to be doing a lot of it though (see the various discussions
on sender verification call-outs which I hope we won't re-hash again...)

Regards

Richard

--
Richard Rogers
IT Development and Innovation Manager

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.