Re: [exim] All hotmail e-mail timing out

Author: Chris Lear
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] All hotmail e-mail timing out
* Chris Lear wrote (30/04/07 16:28):
> For the past 5 days, but not previously, all hotmail e-mail to a
> particular exim machine has been timing out, like this (taken from the log):
>
> SMTP data timeout (message abandoned) on connection from
> bay0-omc2-s##.bay0.hotmail.com [65.54.246.###] F=<[someone]@hotmail.com>
>
> I've replaced the local parts with [someone] and some digits in the
> hostname/IP address with ##, but the rest is pretty much the same for
> all the timeouts.
>
> All other e-mail seems to arrive OK, though there are other occasional
> timeouts, but precisely zero deliveries from hotmail servers.
>
> I've put smtp_receive_timeout up to 8m, but that hasn't helped.
>
> Does anyone know what I can do about it?
>
> Further information that might be significant:
>
> - The server in question is a home machine behind an adsl line with a
> static ip address.
>
> - Another (work) server I look after is receiving hotmail e-mail fine.
>
> - I changed my adsl router recently, and possibly the change coincided
> with the start of the timeouts. Though quite why that would affect only
> hotmail I don't know. The idea was to make the network less flaky, not more.

**Update**

I've found this (I knew what the error meant, so I didn't immediately
realise it would be useful):
http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/General_Debugging/Q0069
which suggests editing the mtu on the adsl router.

I've tried it, without success so far, but it does seem that I can fix
it by messing with my network, so I'll pursue that.

I've also discovered that I can't access hotmail via http, which does
rather point to the fact that this is nothing to do with exim.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Chris