Re: [exim] No IP address found for host

Author: Gloria Brown
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] No IP address found for host
On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 19:48 +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> > When configuring exim, when it asked for the hostname of the outgoing
> > smart host, I entered:
> >
> > "smtp.registeredsite.com:hartford-hwp.com:<PW>"
> >
> > Do I have the syntax wrong here?
>
> If you wrote the config yourself, please post the contents of your
> smarthost router.

Well, much has gone over the dam since I wrote. The main problem was
that not only had I misunderstood the syntax for writing plain text
authentication to the /etc/exim4/passwd.client, but for some reason
included that entire line when I configured exim with debconf to specify
my IPS's mail server.

Compounding the problem, I had torn out and reinserted a hardware
firewall, and I was trying Wanderlust for the first time in place of
rmail, and on top of that was doing all this along with a fresh Etch
installation.

Although I'm still writing this from my wife's machine, I'll unscribe
her and subscribe from my regular machine.

Thanks for help.

Haines Brown