Re: [exim] zone_data expansion oddity

Author: Derek Buttineau
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] zone_data expansion oddity
On 2007-Mar-07, at 7:58 AM, Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> The way things work is that if Exim finds itself in the host list,
> all the
> subsequent hosts in the list are also stripped; I guess the
> assumption is
> that those hosts are backups of lower priority, and they will thus
> pass the
> mail up to higher priority servers - including us. So this logic is
> there to
> stop possible mail loops.

Is there a way to override this logic? Normally it wouldn't be an
issue, as if a host has multiple MX records, it shouldn't arrive at
the queue unless all hosts are down in which case it could be logical
to try only the highest priority MX for delivery. However, in a
situation like this, the DNS was changed while there was mail in the
queue but it wouldn't try the new MX since it was a lower priority
and was stripped when the local host was stripped.

--
Regards,

Derek Buttineau
Internet Systems Developer