Re: [exim] multiple recipients --> single mailbox

Author: Peter Farmer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] multiple recipients --> single mailbox
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Peter Farmer wrote:
>
>> I run a large spamtrap domain, which has 1000+ valid aliases pointing
>> to a single mailbox, as can be expected with spam, a lot of the mails
>> have multiple recipients and subsequently multiple copies of the
>> message get delivered to my mailbox as can be seen my the following
>> log entries:
>>
>> Mar 6 10:30:42 adm01 exim: 2007-03-06 10:30:18 1HOWvt-0004IL-9n =>
>> /opt/mail/hbmail.com/spamtrap/Maildir/ <palmer@???> R=spamtrap
>> T=address_directory
>> Mar 6 10:30:42 adm01 exim: 2007-03-06 10:30:18 1HOWvt-0004IL-9n =>
>> /opt/mail/hbmail.com/spamtrap/Maildir/ <schmidt@???> R=spamtrap
>> T=address_directory
>
> This must be dependent on the way you have configured the routers.
>
>> Is it possible to have only one copy of the message delivered to the
>> mailbox as this would save cpu cycles when processing mails for abuse
>> reporting and bayes learning through not processing dupes.
>
> What you need to do is to have all the aliases expand to another alias,
> and then route that alias to a file. The duplicates should then
> collapse. (I'm guessing that you route each alias directly to the file.)

Ok, my bad, I thought I was expanding the aliases to
spamtrap@???, but having re-read my configure file more closely I
wasn't, I was doing a (semi) clever sql query and routing the mails
direct to the maildir, so now I expand to the spamtrap@??? alias
first and then a seperate router handles the delivery.

Thanks,

--
Peter Farmer