Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration

Author: Richard P. Welty
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration
Marc Perkel wrote:
> So - my questions is - what's the easiest way to make this happan. I
> assume there are conversion utilities. I'm using Dovecot for IMAP.

the classical script for this is russ nelson's convert-and-create, but
it doesn't solve all the problems. i wrote some stuff around it and
tweaked it a little when i converted, and published what i did here:

http://www.averillpark.net/Maildir/

i am using courier imap on the server in question, but dovecot
shouldn't be any different.

it's as simple as you are expecting -- shut down mail delivery,
convert, change the transport and turn mail delivery back on.

> Also - using Ext3 for the file system on a Raid 10 array. Backup server
> will run Ext3 Raid 1. Is the number of files in one directory going to
> be a problem?

ext3 should work ok for this. i've been using xfs and jfs experimentally
on a couple of servers and am pretty happy with the results, i'm rolling
jfs for the db partitions on a production postgresql server at the day
job now.

richard