Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration

Marc Perkel wrote:
> Thinking about going from mbox to maildir. Started with mbox way back
> when but thinking about making the conversion. The main reason is that I
> use rsync for backups and when these huge mailboxes are touched I have
> to copy the whole thing. With maildir I only copy the files that change.
>
> So - my questions is - what's the easiest way to make this happan. I
> assume there are conversion utilities. I'm using Dovecot for IMAP.

Here is a script I used to migrate my boxes from mbox to maildir:
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

I also use dovecot and it has no problems to recognize the change from
mbox to maildir.

> Also - using Ext3 for the file system on a Raid 10 array. Backup server
> will run Ext3 Raid 1. Is the number of files in one directory going to
> be a problem?

I don't know about ext3 but ufs on OpenBSD and XFS on linux 2.6 don't
have a real problem handling 20000+ files in one folder. My thought is
that reiserfs is probably a better choice for a maildir setup as it is
designed to perform well with thousands of small files.