Re: [exim] Exim 5

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 5
Am Donnerstag, den 08.02.2007, 14:11 +0000 schrieb Philip Hazel:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Michael Haardt wrote:
>
> > I run Exim since autumn 1998 now, having used Qmail before, and tweaked
> > the code here and there. IMHO, we can take another round of leaving the
> > major design in place. So, what could we try out now to learn about it,
> > that could possibly reason a re-design when being understood completely?
>
> Thanks for the comments. When I get round to making the Wiki page that I
> promised, I will add these comments to it.

If we start a whishlist now, then I'd like to mention an upper limit for
the number of exim-processes handling incoming connections.

smtp_load_reserve, queue_only_load, etc. do help, but are very indirect
and don't help at all if a high number of new connections hits the
server at the same time and causing high load later. E.g. 50 connections
are accepted at the same time, because there is no load, but cause
problems when the messages are given to SpamAssassin and
antivirus-software.

I remember Phils comment that this would require a major redisign,
though. Perhaps some kind of prefork-model would be sensible...

--
CU,
Patrick.