Re: [exim] Defining "Virtual"

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Defining "Virtual"
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, John W. Baxter wrote:
>
>> Except that very few modern machines use "core". (I'm not even sure Atlas
>> used it.)
>
> Atlas used it. IBM 360s and even early 370s used it. We had 2 megabytes
> of core on our 370/165 but the 3rd and 4th megabytes that were
> subsequently added were semiconductor memory. Each megabyte about the
> size of a domestic refrigerator.

Even AN/FSQ-7 (twinned Whirlwind II, about 26 or so built) used mag core.

Doesn't get much older than that or you are into 'one of a kind' gear.

Most 'affordable' gear of that day used mercury or ferro-resonant delay lines
and drum or 'fast' tape (See IBM TOS) as primary 'online' memory, punched cards
or paper tape for offline.

How soon we forget 60+ hour assembler passes...

;-).

Bill