Re: [exim] TLS errors on SMTP (non-AUTH) connections

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Vincent Danen
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS errors on SMTP (non-AUTH) connections
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Looks like I might have to wait for the new version of exim to do this.
> I set:
>
> pipelining_advertise_hosts = 127.0.0.1
> smtp_enforce_sync = true
>
> but on outgoing connections if the remote advertises pipelining, seems
> like exim will use it no matter what I want.

These options are only for incoming connections. There is no specific
option for stopping the use of pipelining on outgoing connections.

You can use hosts_avoid_esmtp in the smtp transport to avoid the
use of *all* SMTP extensions, but that includes support for SIZE, AUTH,
and TLS as well as PIPELINING.

Perhaps there should be an option specifically to turn off pipelining,
as it seems to be causing problems.

> Sucks, but looks like there isn't a whole lot I can do about this at the
> moment, which is unfortunate. Well, I could use a snapshot I guess but
> that doesn't sound like much of a good idea for a production system.

The snapshot won't help; it also is concerned with incoming connections.