Re: [exim] Extremely Simple(?) greylisting with exim?

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Extremely Simple(?) greylisting with exim?
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@???> (Do 04 Jan 2007 07:53:47 CET):
> On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 12:29 -0700, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> > I set up two low priority MX hosts that are virtual hosts
> > on the same machine as the normal mailhost. These lower priority
> > ones automatically defer everything that hits them. [...]
> >
> > I do greylisting use Marc Merlin's sa-exim with his greylisting
> > module added.
>
> this will break when the sending server uses Exim...
>
> here's the scenario:
>
>       * server sends message to A (highest MX priority), and is defered
>         due to greylisting.
>       * server now tries to send message to B (lowest MX priority) which
>         always defers.
>       * server notes that B defers in retry database
>       * some time later, it retries A, and it is successful.

Until here I understand it.

> repeat this for some time. eventually you get this:
>
>       * server sends message to A, and is deferred due to greylisting.
>       * server tries B, which defers.  it looks in retry database, sees
>         that B hasn't worked for a long time, and BOUNCES THE MESSAGE
>         IMMEDIATELY.

Why should A defer again? Ok, probably because the grey list was
cleaned.

But why should the sending server now think that there are delivery
problems for a long time already?

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -