Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Paul Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
On Saturday 22 April 2006 12:22, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> I remember being told to RTFM here and it really hurt. In the end, my
> question turned into an improvement in the documentation.

Don't take it personally, then. It's not meant as an insult.

> There is never any reason to say RTFM to anyone. It is rude every
> time.

I disagree. If you point out where in the manual it is like Mark did, it's
fine. But you should probably leave out the part about pigs flying, however.
I think without the snarkiness, saying "RTFM, search for keyword blah" is
acceptable.

I tend to find it insulting that people think mailing lists should be expected
to bend over backwards, for free, for stuff that the answer is written on the
wall. Only way you can make that more obnoxious is by adding, "Oh, and
please reply privately as I'm not on the list." Mailing lists aren't
consultants, if you want a consultant, RTF-Yellow Pages.

> If you don't want to answer the question, then why not save
> yourself the keystrokes and don't answer. That's all. Why make
> yourself ugly with a rude message?

Don't you want to know the answer is at least out there and you just missed
where it's written on the wall?

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): baloo@???