Re: [exim] Exim is listening on port 80

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim is listening on port 80
Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:31:18 +0800, W B Hacker <wbh@???>
> wrote:
>
>>'exim4' implies Debian, so best to ask on the debian-speciifc
>>Exim list.
>

> Why?
>
> This doesn't look like a Debian-specific issue, and I fail to see what
> the Debian maintainers could have broken to make this Debian-specific.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Nobody said they broke anything.

Because non-Debian Exim users may or may not (more often NOT)
even understand where and how Debian configures Exim, let alone
how it starts other daemons.

Seems there has been a LOT of discussion on that score, with the
first step in reducing confusion to get the OP into the arena
where those who DO understand can best tell them where to start.

Unix users, and even Linux-but-not-Debian users don't
necessarily understand the material a Debian user posts, let
alone where he should look to see what settings are in use.

Likewise, the very nature of posts from Debian users visible
here evidences a lower average age/total experience and surely
less MTA & RFC experience than the general run of Unix or other
Linux users posting.

Many will be back moaning about trouble running an MTA on
allocated-portable IP's once they get the thing running at all.

I'll presume that there *are* expert Debian users who simply
don't need help.. ;-)

It is to them I suggest directing the Debian newbie who DOES
need help.

Bill