[exim] Remote Domains Not Supported

Author: Jason Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Remote Domains Not Supported
All,

I am trying to send a message using the php library phpmailer from one
of our debian web servers. I configure the script to use the mail()
function, which apparently by default hands off the message to the
local MTA if at all possible. The script itself reports successful
delivery to exim, which I have confirmed by the following being found
in `/var/log/exim4/mainlog`:

    "jasonj@??? R=nonlocal: Mailing to remote domains not
supported"

It then ends up permanently rejected for delivery in `www-data`'s local
mailbox.

In this situation, how do I allow exim to send mail to any address at
any domain? Is there a particular configuration directive (as I imagine
there is) I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance,
Jason