[exim-dev] Revised 4.60 Documentation

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Revised 4.60 Documentation
I have just committed a pile of documentation files to the CVS, and I
will shortly (later today) be re-releasing the 4.60 documentation in a
revised form (I'll announce it on the announce list). The is the
culmination of Yet Another set of changes to the way the docs are
produced. Specifically:

. I have abandoned the use of Asciidoc for producing the XML from plain
text. It was the wrong tool for this job, because of the size and
complexity of the Exim specification document. Instead, the prime
sources are now .xfpt files. This is a format that is understood by a
little application that I wrote ("Xml From Plain Text") to do exactly
this job. I have released xfpt for general use. The markup used in the
Exim documents is documented in a file called Markup.txt. Using xfpt
means that the markup is unambiguous, and it all runs much faster.

. The source files themselves had acquired some typos in their
conversion to Asciidoc format (extraneous characters, blank lines in
odd places). I hope that I've caught all of these.

. The PostScript and PDF versions now have the chapter numbers back in
the running feet. The title pages are now improved, and the table of
contents is forced to be an even number of pages.

. In the PDF version, I've managed to get the page labels that are shown
with acroread's thumbnails to correspond to the actual numbers printed
on the pages.

. In the .txt versions, chapter titles are now upper cased, and preceded
by some extra blank space and a line of ====. Section titles have an
extra line inserted, and are underlined with hyphens.