Re: [exim] Penalty Box Greylisting

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Penalty Box Greylisting

Christian Schmidt wrote:

>Hello Marc,
>
>Marc Perkel, 15.02.2005 (d.m.y):
>

>>So - hw do I limit the time to an hour? It's crud and simple. I have a
>>cron job that empties the list every hour. Sweet - simple - and it works.
>>

>But what if an entry is put into this list five minutes before it (=
>the list) is "purged" by cron?

Yes - if it is put in 1 minute before the hour it is purged by cron. But
- if the offender keeps trying to send email then if they send right
after the purge they are locked out for another hour.

Basically - a spammer gets one spam per hour and that's it. By one spam
I mean that SA still blocks it - but after it does then I temp reject
them for the rest of the hour. The idea is to cut load on SA and not to
make the system perfect.

It's not a perfect solution - but it is simple and seems to accomplish
what I intended it to do - which is to reduce - but not eliminate -
server load.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com