Re: [exim] A bunch of documentation bug reports from Debian

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users, Marc Haber
Subject: Re: [exim] A bunch of documentation bug reports from Debian
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Marc Haber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is a bunch of documentation bugs. The bug progress reports can be
> seen on http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=eximdoc4

The majority of these reports are concerned with the Techinfo ("info")
version of the documentation. This has always been troublesome to
maintain, as I am not a Techinfo person, and the script that makes it is
a lash-up that I keep having to fix up (because I keep tripping over the
syntax).

Once Exim 4.50 is released, I am going to be working on converting the
source documentation into a new, more standard form. It is not clear how
the Techinfo version will be made in future. It will have to be done
using standard software, if such exists (I have not investigated yet).
All new document processing will have to be able to start from DocBook.

If there is no standard way of making the Texinfo files from DocBook
(either directly, or, for example, from the HTML output), then I propose
not to continue with that version of the documentation.