Re: [exim] Spamassassin with Exiscan

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] Spamassassin with Exiscan
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:35:20 -0800 (PST), Doug Jolley <d2jcell@???> wrote:
> I would like to get some assistance in
> understanding a statement made in the Exiscan
> documentation concerning the use of Spamassassin.
> The documentation says that one can put the
> username that Spamassassin should scan for on the
> right-hand side (e.g., 'spam = joe') and goes on
> to say that this allows one to use per-domain or
> per-user antispam profiles. I don't get how that
> results in such an allowance. Since we are in a
> data acl, wouldn't saying 'spam=joe' just cause
> the profile for Joe to be used for all users and
> all domains? I don't see how this allows one to
> assign profiles on a per-domain or per user
> basis. Can someone please clear away the cobb
> webs for me? Thanks for any input.

The right hand side of the 'spam=' line is expanded, so you can use
expansion variables and so on to select which SA user profile to use -
perhaps based on something that happened in a RCPT acl....

Having said that, this is not a particularly elegant way of doing
per-user profiles. I, and many others, make do with a single profile
and process the SA score per-recipient instead. Still not perfect, and
relies on one-recipient-per-message or
one-spam-scan-profile-per-message, but it does keep all the admin in
the Exim realm rather than having to maintain separate profiles in SA.
And you lose per-recipient Bayesian capabilities.

Peter