Re: [exim] greylisting

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Dennis Davis
CC: Exim User's Mailing List, Jeanne Schock
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:43:12PM +0000, Dennis Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Oliver Egginger wrote:
>
> > From: Oliver Egginger <oliver.egginger@???>
> > To: Jeanne Schock <jschock@???>
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:33:05 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting
> >
> > You have to implement an additional state machine, which coexists in
> > front of your MTA. For doing this you need a database (mysql for
> > example) where you can store a triple of ip address, sender address and
> > recipient address for incomming connections.
>
> See:
>
> http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/
>
> for a useful source of material. In particular the links page contains
> pointers to various implementations for exim. Can't comment any further
> as I don't use greylisting.

I apologize for everyone who already knows about this :)

http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html#greylisting

The main idea is that I don't think you want to greylist everyone, and
greylisting at RCPT TO causes some problems with VERP, so you only
greylist people who you're not sure are spammers or good folks.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of other adaptive greylisting
implementations (i.e. you let most mails through without delay, refuse
the clear spammers right away, and only greylist people in the middle)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key