Re: [exim] syntactically invalid argument(s)

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] syntactically invalid argument(s)
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:53:06 -0300, Sosa Eduardo O.
<eososa@???> wrote:
> Greetings!
> Whenever my server receive an smtp transaction from a host named in the following way "name_host", it rejcts it with the following message.
> rejected EHLO from host76.200-71-231.telecom.net.ar [200.71.231.76]: syntactically invalid argument(s): server_notes3.alumni.iae.edu.ar
>
> How do I solve this situation

You have configured exim to perform strict syntax checking on the
HELO/EHLO part of the SMTP dialog. The host attempting to send mail to
you has a syntactically invalid HELO string (the underscore character
is not permitted). They should change their hostname to be conformant.

However, if you wish to configure less stringent checking (and
therefore allow broken systems to send you mail), look for

helo_allow_junk_hosts
helo_accept_chars

in the Options section of the docs at

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec.html