Re: [exim] Return Code & no bounce message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Cal Evans
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Return Code & no bounce message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Cal Evans wrote:

> I'm trying to use exim to send (not queue) messages from a process.

Last week I had a private discussion with somebody else about this
requirement. Some ideas were forthcoming and I'm going to think about
ways of doing it. However, at present, Exim cannot do this job.

> exim -bm -t -v -odf -f cal@??? < test && echo $?
>
> test is a file with the message and relevant headers in it. The echo $? is
> just for testing. Eventually, I'll use the return code in my script.
>
> Everything is working fine, I get a log of things happening but I have 2
> questions:
> 1: Is there a way to get exim to report the status code returned? (i.e. 550,
> 450, 554, etc.)

No. If there is more than one recipient, there may be more than one
return code - that is one of the problems to think about.

> 2: Is it possible to tell exim NOT to send a bounce message?

No. But you can route all bounce messages to /dev/null, though this is
not really satisfactory.

A month or two down the line, there might be some help in Exim for this.
But absolutely NO promises! :-)

Regards,
Philip