Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought
On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 14:01 +0100, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> Well, mainly so that I can customise the response - to point to a helpful
> web page. However, it looks like you've managed to achieve that. Did you
> just rely on the probability that a failure on RCPT TO would probably never
> be bounced to anyone?

No, Exim 4.41 gives an appropriate message all by itself, depending on
the reason for the failure:

    smtp_respond(550, FALSE, string_sprintf(
        testflag(sender_verified_failed, af_verify_pmfail)?
          "Postmaster verification failed while checking <%s>\n%s\n"
          "Several RFCs state that you are required to have a postmaster\n"
          "mailbox for each mail domain. This host does not accept mail\n"
          "from domains whose servers reject the postmaster address."
          :
        testflag(sender_verified_failed, af_verify_nsfail)?
          "Callback setup failed while verifying <%s>\n%s\n"
          "The initial connection, or a HELO or MAIL FROM:<> command was\n"
          "rejected. Refusing MAIL FROM:<> does not help fight spam, disregards\n"
          "RFC requirements, and stops you from receiving standard bounce\n"
          "messages. This host does not accept mail from domains whose servers\n"
          "refuse bounces."
          :
          "Verification failed for <%s>\n%s",

--