Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: David Woodhouse
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought

--On Thursday, August 19, 2004 3:17 pm +0100 David Woodhouse
<dwmw2@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 13:08 +0100, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> What I would like to be able to do though, is respond to a rejection
>> after MAIL FROM:<> in a different way than I respond to a recipient
>> rejection.
>
> If they reject after RCPT TO:<someuser@domain> that's probably a bogus
> user so I'd like to drop any mail claiming to be from that user.

Yes, me too.

> If they reject after MAIL FROM:<> then they're clueless _and_ they've
> probably been provoked into doing so by receiving a lot of bounces to
> mail they didn't send... they're probably being joe-jobbed a lot. So
> it's a fairly good chance the mail I'm being offered is fake and hence I
> also want to drop it.

Again, me too.

> Why would I want to make a distinction between the two cases? Doesn't
> the rejection already give enough information to the offending sender,
> if in fact the message is genuine?

Well, mainly so that I can customise the response - to point to a helpful
web page. However, it looks like you've managed to achieve that. Did you
just rely on the probability that a failure on RCPT TO would probably never
be bounced to anyone?

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team