Re: [Exim] unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP comma…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sean Linus
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Sean Linus wrote:

>> The ultimate debugger for this is to use tcptrace to see exactly what
>> packets you are seeing on the network connection.
> Any guide how to use tcptrace in accordance to this problem :)

Sorry, I meant "tcpdump". For info: "man tcpdump". (There are other tcp
debuggers available too.) At your end, I suspect this won't help much
because it will just show nothing arriving when Exim is waiting for an
incoming command, but it can show what state the conversation has got
to. If you have a firewall and can run tcpdump outside of it, that might
be a way of exonerating (or blaming) your firewall. The nearer to the
Internet you can run tcpdump, the better chance of finding out whether
the problem is at your end or at their end.

You could also run the Exim daemon in debugging mode, but that is not
advisable if your site is at all busy because of the volume of debugging
output which will be hard to scan.