Re: [Exim] SMTP Sender-verify callouts

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP Sender-verify callouts
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> About 20,000 per day. But that figure isn't per site. That's the
> total number of failed callouts that I do in a day.

I understood that, yes (modulo the detail of whether that's counting
permfailed callouts, or including tempfailed callouts, or counting
mail rejections based on maybe-cached callouts; but the differences
are probably second-order).

> > I don't mind playing my *reasonable* part in responding to
> > callouts and helping to block spam; but if I was having to handle
> > 20,000 callouts a day for spams which are really not my fault,
> > then I might take a different view.
>
> Ah, I see that you thought I meant 20k per site.

No, I didn't. I meant (hypothetically) 20k incoming to us from the
totality of other sites.

> > In the same time that we've responded to those 4k+ bounces, we've made
> > only 620 actual callouts

I really must correct myself here. I meant to say that we made only
620 *rejected* callouts, in that period. We don't actually log how
many callouts we make in total, but callouts are made only to the
selected domains which have been specified as a result of actual
experience; we don't use callouts indiscriminately.

And in some important cases (e.g hotmail. yahoo etc.) we only try a
callout when the offering MTA *isn't* one of theirs.

best regards