Re: [Exim] Best antiviral solution for Exim?

Author: Dennis Davis
To: Christopher Snell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Best antiviral solution for Exim?
>From: Christopher Snell <cjsnell@???>
>To: exim-users@???
>Subject: [Exim] Best antiviral solution for Exim?
>Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:47:07 -0500
>
>I'm trying to find a good commercial anti-viral package that will
>integrate well with Exim. The problem that I'm having is that
>all of these antivirus software salespeople are trying to sell me
>products aimed at those who want ready-made solutions. They want
>me to buy their stand-alone mail servers that will scan and relay
>mail to my existing servers. I'm having a hard time finding a good
>product that will work with Exim at a reasonable price. Here are
>the requirements:
>
>- command-line scanner (or daemon)
>
>- the ability to automate updates of virus signature files
>
>- a pricing structure that is not based on the number of employees,
>workstations, or e-mail accounts that I have
>
>Is there such a beast? What are other Exim users using?

We're using exim + exiscan + Sophos + sophie. Sophos gives
you the command line scanner (sweep) and sophie gives you the
daemon interface. On a busy mail relay, sophie gives you a *big*
performance boost.

Updating the virus signature files is automated by use of a suitable
cron job and on receipt of notification from Sophos. The Sophos
software is updated on a monthly basis.

Don't know about the pricing structure for Sophos. We have it under
an academic site license which is probably a lot different from that
available for commercial customers.

I note that many anti-virus companies are now selling mail & virus
scanning black boxes. Possibly you're talking to salesmen who are
trying to sell you the most expensive solution, rather than what you
requested.

As noted in other replies, clamav has the right pricing structure.
I've never used this myself, but others on this mailing list have
recommended it.

Remember that none of the virus scanners are a magic silver bullet.
You can still get caught out by a fast-spreading virus that arrives
before a suitable virus signature file is available.