Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.24-22 - SPF support

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.24-22 - SPF support
Hi Richard, on Wed, 26 May 2004 11:23:43 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

> David Woodhouse <dwmw2@???>
> > message=Only stupid people have SPF records containing '-all'
> i have a domain, digest.net, whose sole purpose is to host mailing
> lists. there are no users, only electronic mailing lists. no mail with
> the domain@??? is legitimate unless it originates from
> 192.94.170.0/24
> why is -all not appropriate here?

What happens if a subscriber to one of your lists has their mail forwarded
to something else?

SPF is an utterly stupid, broken idea. The only conceivable use I can see
of SPFv1 is to publish records saying "this domain does not send mail,
ever".

All I can say is that I hope the SPF people, the Yahoo DomainKeys people,
and the M$ Caller$D people get their heads together and agree on a
workable system which is usable within the current architecture without
breaking everything. Take a few selected bits from the various proposals
flying around and I'm sure there's a workable solution. Preferably before
too many people jump on bandwaggons without understanding the
consequences.

Tim