Re: [Exim] maildir_use_size_file and zero quota (views sough…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Anand Buddhdev
CC: Oliver Siegmar, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] maildir_use_size_file and zero quota (views sought)
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> > Yeah, different things about different versions. Anand is using
> > courier-imap 3.0.3 - I'm using debian woody's 1.4.3. Of course, my version
> > is somewhat outdated, but it is Debians latest stable release.

I think I need a new T-shirt. On the front it will say

"Of course, my version is somewhat outdated..."

and on the back it will say

"...but it is Debian's latest stable release."

Or maybe I should just put the whole thing in my sig. Not that I want to
wind up Debian, of course. Perish the thought. :-)

> This option would only be useful to a very small minority who happen
> to be using a 2-year old version of courier-imap. Hopefully, the
> upcoming Debian update will include a newer version of courier-imap,
> and then this option will no longer be necessary in exim. IMHO, it's
> a waste of effort to include new functionality in exim that may only
> be needed for a few more months at most. I'd urge you to upgrade your
> version of courier-imap (3.0.3 is in -testing).

That is exactly what I was going to say.

However, I am ever-helpful. :-) I did investigate how this could be
done. In the 4.34 release of Exim (which I'll release very shortly,
because of the buffer overflow bugfix) there are a few lines of
commented-out code (in the transports/appendfile.c module) which ensure
that no maildirsize file is created if the quota is zero. By hacking the
code just a bit you can enable this functionality (unconditionally,
there is no option).

Philip