RE: [Exim] Blocking phony MS Security update emails

Author: Rick Cooper
To: Jeff Green, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Blocking phony MS Security update emails

Actually you can sign up to have Update announcements sent to you
via e-mail, but the announcements are VERY specific that MS does
not and will not send the updates to you via any form other than
the windows update site or the autoupdate program (which of
course runs on the local machine). So any time an actual update
arrives via email it's not MS, but announcements (which I do
receive) are perfectly valid. If you look at the information
contained in your link below it states:
    "No. Microsoft NEVER sends emails with security update
attachments.
    You can subscribe to mailing lists to receive Microsoft security
bulletins..."

I have added the following rule to my spamassassin local rules
that, so far, will catch this type of mail: (watch the wrap)

body RC_B_MSPATCH /\bthis is the latest version of security
update, the \".* Cumulative Patch\"/i
describe RC_B_MSPATCH Attempt to masquerade as MS security
bulletin
score RC_B_MSPATCH 25