RE: [Exim] forced open relay

Author: Rick Cooper
To: Leonardo Boselli, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] forced open relay
I have a similar situation. No local user can send mail without
authenticating, except from host 127.0.0.1 We have a web mail
package installed on the mail servers (twiggi) and users must
authenticate with Apache before gaining access to the web mail
system and then, of course they must be a valid twiggi user and
are IMAP authenticated before being able to actually log in to
the web mail server. This allows roaming users to reach their
email from any client/place that they can reach the internet
from. Since it's IMAP based it also allows them to retrieve the
mail to their local folders once they have returned. I have a
custom script that creates all the twiggi information when the
e-mail user is created, and removes the twiggi information when
the user is deleted (we use 100% virtual users, there is only one
non system Unix user on each box.. me). It's a bit more work
initially but it keeps the mail servers relay free.

Rick