Re: [Exim] Stopping out-of-office auto-reply mail loops

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Andrew Lewis
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Stopping out-of-office auto-reply mail loops
On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 08:06 +0200, Andrew Lewis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently I am experiencing problems where-in one user will set their
> out-of-office auto-reply on, and then mail another user who's auto-reply
> is on, causing an infinite mail-loop.

Autoreplies should only ever be sent to the SMTP reverse-path; the
address to which bounces go -- never to any address found in the mail
itself, even the From: header.

Likewise, autoreplies should always be sent with an empty reverse-path,
just like bounces -- so that they don't trigger further bounces.

It looks like you're violating the first of these -- you're picking
random addresses from the headers to reply to, and that means you're
replying even to bounce messages.

To fix this, I think you need to change 'to = $reply_address' into
'to = $sender_address' in your vacation_user transport, and possibly
also make the vacation router happen only for non-null senders -- would
that be 'senders = ! :' ?

--
dwmw2