[Exim] store-and-forward mailserver

Author: Nico De Ranter
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] store-and-forward mailserver
Hi,

we have a dual mailserver setup: the external mailserver receives
mails and simply forwards everything for our domains to the internal
mailserver which does all the real work (including sending outgoing
mails). Unfortunately, since the external mail server doesn't know
any of the actual internal mail addresses it will simply accept
everything for our domains including a zillion spams send to non-existing
addresses. As a result the external mail server will generate a
zillion bounces which will in turn be send to a zillion external non-existing
mail addresses. Sigh... I hate spammers.

Is there a way to make the external mailserver (running exim 4.x)
check incoming mails against a list of known internal mail addresses
and still send all mails that match to the internal mail server
(nothing should be received localy on the external mailserver)?
This way I assume incoming mails for non-existing addresses will
be blocked at the incoming SMTP level in stead of generating a bounce
when the internal mailserver refuses the connection from the external
mailserver.

I hope my explanation made sense to anyone :-)

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Sony Service Center (NSCE/VPE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86