Re: [Exim] SSL cert request signed by Microsoft CA for Exim …

Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: Erik Bussink
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] SSL cert request signed by Microsoft CA for Exim 4.10 with TLS
--
tir, 2002-09-10 kl. 15:43 skrev Erik Bussink:

> One question I'm still considering, and I haven't found on this
> EXIM to TLS encrypt outgoing SMTP connections with remote SMTP
> servers ? I understand that my EXIM server will not have the remote's
> TLS certificate, but does it really matter ? I think encrypting the
> SMTP traffic would be a nicer than having normal cleartext traffic.

If you compile Exim 4 (you don't say which version you use, but I'd
think that it would apply equally to 3 and 4) with TLS support, Exim *as
client* will automatically do a STARTTLS and attempt to send encrypted
as soon as it has seen STARTTLS advertized by its server peer, on the
Exim client's EHLO.

Info source: "It works for me both with Sendmail servers and others", as
well as Exim's spec.txt, v4, ch. 36.3.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

Tha can allway tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell 'im much.

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:    http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981