[Exim] New Server Specs?

Autor: Jeffrey Wheat
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: [Exim] New Server Specs?
Hello all, I would like to get a few opinions for building my next
mail server. I am presently running a dual processor, PIII-833
with 1.5G RAM and 3ware disk controller running FreeBSD. I am noticing
a performance issue when trying to run sopie/spamassassin together.
The problem is that perl consumes most of the cpu while spamassassin
is enabled, thus driving the system load to well over 16.5. With just
sophie running, the load stays around 0.5 - 1.0. The server needs to be
able to handle around 350,000 mails a day, running Exim, Courier IMAP,
Sophie and SpamAssassin.

I am considering a quad Intel PIII 700 XEON or a dual Intel P-4 2G
system with 2G - 4G of RAM. Can anyone with a similar mail load or
greater share their experiences?

Many thanks in advance,
Jeff

---