Re: [Exim] message_body_visible

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Peter Salvage
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] message_body_visible
wizard@??? said:
> We use the attachment filtering script available on the exim.org site
> to prevent unwanted attachments, but I've noticed that some of the
> attachments are still getting through. This _seems_ to be those emails
> that have been forwarded a number of times before they hit our mail
> server, thus making me think (wrongly?) that the attachment is
> "buried" too deep for the script to pick up.

That could be the case. Forwarding may also munge headers to the
extent that buried messages have headers that don't match the patterns
used.

> I was wondering, if I add message_body_visible = 5000 (syntax?)
> whether that would take care of it?

It may - but this problem is getting worse. The filter script is
basically a stopgap which has reached end of life. We either need full
body scanning (ideally on receipt) or you need to call out to a proper
scanner - MTAs weren't really designed for this job.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]