[Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as a te…

Author: David Searles
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] How to treat SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) as a temporary failure
How can I configure Exim to treat an SMTP error 550 (Relaying denied) on
outbound mail as a temporary failure so the message can be retried later?

My ISP uses "POP before SMTP" authentication and I make sure the POP3 box is
checked before allowing Exim to send any mail but SOMETIMES the
authentication seems to fail and I get VERY sporadic "550 Relaying denied"
errors (one or two every few weeks). I've complained to the ISP about this
problem but they haven't been able to fix it (even occurs using Windows
Outlook Express!).

Because Exim correctly processes these as permanent errors, my users get
delivery failure notifications and I must try to explain the problem and
then ask them to re-send the messages (pretty embarassing!).

Is there any way to have Exim treat an SMTP error 550 as if it were a
temporary error?

Blessings and Thanks,

Dave Searles