Re: [Exim] TLS/SSL and Outlook 97

Author: Tom Samplonius
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: Philip Hazel, Jeffrey C. Ollie, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] TLS/SSL and Outlook 97
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Ok, I don't claim to keep up to date with standards in this field.
>
> That said, I still don't see a good reason why they actually *removed*
> smtp/ssl support from netscape.

It is still there via the STARTTLS mechanism. It is still SSL, it just
doesn't start until after the STARTTLS.

> The point is that if you can do ssl and smtp, smtp/ssl is a complete no
> brainer, and there is no reason not to support it, let alone to remove
> support for it in a client.

Why not? What good are standards anyway? Way too many people are
staying strictly standards compliant these days. It makes it far too easy
for different products to interoperate.