Re: [Exim] TLS/SSL and Outlook 97

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Tom Samplonius
CC: Philip Hazel, Jeffrey C. Ollie, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] TLS/SSL and Outlook 97
On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 04:22:59PM -0800, Tom Samplonius wrote:
> Actually, it is the direction that mail standards are heading. All the
> SSL specific versions (ssmtp, spop, simap) are going to go away.
> Netscape was one of the first to implement this stuff according to
> standards.

Ok, I don't claim to keep up to date with standards in this field.

That said, I still don't see a good reason why they actually *removed*
smtp/ssl support from netscape.

The point is that if you can do ssl and smtp, smtp/ssl is a complete no
brainer, and there is no reason not to support it, let alone to remove
support for it in a client.

Anyway, while I don't need it, it'd be nice for exim to support plain
smtp/ssl too with a flag on the command line or a configuration option.
I could see something like:

sslport (ssmtp) option

Option: port
Type: string